Our turtles have to be the cutest of the reptiles we have at Kawaii Animals HQ. Our turtle string doll is called Myrtle, and is a chilled out creature. I suppose, when you can live to 100 years old, there’s no point getting worked up. It’s worth noting that Myrtle is a turtle, and not a tortoise – which means that she prefers the water to the land.
Let’s take a look at some fun facts about the turtle courtesy of ‘sciencekids’: click here to visit the Science Kids website.
- Turtles have a hard shell that protects them like a shield, this upper shell is called a ‘carapace’.
- Turtles also have a lower shell called a ‘plastron’.
- Many turtle species (not all) can hide their heads inside their shells when attacked by predators.
- Turtles have existed for around 215 million years.
- Like other reptiles, turtles are cold blooded.
- The largest turtle is the leatherback sea turtle, it can weigh over 900 kg!
- Turtles lay eggs.
- In some species of turtle the temperature determines if the egg will develop into a male or female, lower temperatures lead to a male while higher temperatures lead to a female.
- Sea turtles have special glands which help remove salt from the water they drink.
- Many species are endangered.
In addition to Myrtle, we also have a fetchingly adorable turtle Anisnap watch that would make the perfect gift – turtles are one of the most popular animals around, they are so sweet and innocent. Could you dislike a turtle? We certainly couldn’t! Check out our turtle range here.
Once you add one to your family show us how they’ve settled in with a picture via social media or email and we’ll try our very best to feature you in our blog: the Tales of Tigerlily on our website.
Leave a Reply