This Christmas, penguins are definitely the talk of the town. Our range of penguins is one of our favourites, we have really quirky and unique styles of penguin string and zoom zoom dolls; penguin jigsaws (including two in each magnificent Noah’s Ark boat); and the penguin Anisnap watch which are a just perfect gift for children. With the help of the interesting ‘sciencekids’ website we’ve unearthed some really interesting short and snappy facts about penguins:
- While other birds have wings for flying, penguins have adapted flippers to help them swim in the water.
- Most penguins live in the Southern Hemisphere.
- The Galapagos Penguin is the only penguin specie that ventures north of the equator in the wild.
- Large penguin populations can be found in countries such as New Zealand, Australia, Chile, Argentina and South Africa.
- No penguins live at the North Pole.
- Penguins can drink sea water.
- The Emperor Penguin is the tallest of all penguin species, reaching as tall as 120 cm (47 in) in height.
- Emperor Penguins can stay underwater for around 20 minutes at a time.
- Emperor Penguins often huddle together to keep warm in the cold temperatures of Antarctica.
- Penguin’s black and white plumage serves as camouflage while swimming. The black plumage on their back is hard to see from above, while the white plumage on their front looks like the sun reflecting off the surface of the water when seen from below.
- Penguins in Antarctica have no land based predators.
Click here to check out our wide range of penguins on our website. There really is something for everyone – and once you’ve added one of our gang to your family make sure you let us know by sending us a picture of how your new friend has settled in on Facebook or Twitter. You could well appear in the Tales of Tigerlily on our website!
Leave a Reply