Frogs are one of the most worldwide animals in the world, there isn’t really a corner of the earth that they don’t live. Were will you take yours? Here’s some amazing froggy facts from sciencekids (click here to go to their website):
- A frog is an amphibian. They lay their eggs in water. The eggs hatch into a tadpole which lives in water until it metamorphoses into an adult frog.
- Tadpoles look more like fish than frogs, they have long finned tails and breathe through gills.
- Although frogs live on land their habitat must be near swamps, ponds or in a damp place. This is because they will die if their skin dries out.
- Instead of drinking water, frogs soak it into their body through their skin.
- Frogs breathe through their nostrils while also absorbing about half the air they need through their skin.
- Frogs use their sticky, muscular tongue to catch and swallow food. Unlike humans, their tongue is not attached to the back of its mouth. Instead it is attached to the front, enabling the frog to stick its tongue out much further.
- The common pond frog is ready to breed when it is only three years old.
- Frogs can see forwards, sideways and upwards all at the same time. They never close their eyes, even when they sleep.
- Remarkably, frogs actually use their eyes to help them swallow food. When the frog blinks, its eyeballs are pushed downwards creating a bulge in the roof of its mouth. This bulge squeezes the food inside the frog’s mouth down the back of its throat.
We have a wide range of frogs for you to show off. Our brooch will look amazing on your jackets and jumpers, and our Zoom Zoom string doll key-ring will look adorable as a bag decoration! Be sure to check out the whole of our range of frogs, and as always, please show off the new addition to your family on social media. You could feature on our blog.
Click here to see our frog range
Leave a Reply